Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Crux Gloria

"This sculpture speaks to the intense desire God has for us to be reconciled, united as one family journeying with Him through eternity".

Those are the words of Tomas Fernandez, the sculptor of this awe inspiring 37 ft steel cross located about a half hour outside DC, in Purcellville, Virgina.

On the grounds of St. Francis de Sales parish stands this massive symbol of answering "yes" to our Heavenly Father. While the first, more profound, "yes" came in the Garden of Gethsemane, in our Savior's words "not as I will, but as you will", another "yes" would be murmured one early morning, a few thousand years later in Madison County.

Fernanandez recalls having a dream in 1988, where God appeared and told him "to design what became the "Crux Gloria," an image of a solid cross except for the figure of Christ dramatically silhouetted inside." Obeying his Father's call, he would go on to build several of these, including a heavenly comission for one to be placed in St. Petersburg, Russia. The design is also to be part of a larger piece entitled "Beyond Forever", a 100 foot long complex of walls and figures which he will place in the center courtyard of the future Arts Center.


The feeling I had the first time I saw the "Crux Gloria", was very similar to my first reaction when I entered St. Peters' the first time. In both, I realized that the beautiful art I was seeing, were manifestations of creative hearts crying out "I Love you" to our God.

I pray today we all find some way to voice a similar exaltation to the One who loved us first, and who loves us most.

No comments: