Monday, February 2, 2009

Fashionable Christians

..
Today my necklace, containing a silver James Avery cross and my Miraculous medal, fell off while doing a little house cleaning (heh, it happens . . .albeit rarely). The naked feeling of not having those items touching my person had me a bit panicked until I found them.

Granted, that feeling was mainly due to the fact that for about three years they have also never left my body, but also because they are to me, shiny little testimonies of my love and faith and trust in both our Lord and our Lady.

"... we should have no fear that in wearing a holy medal we may be relying on some sort of good luck charm. I wear a Miraculous Medal to remind me of why I exist because I know how easy it is to get tricked into thinking that life can be lived comfortably without God. But I know I would be hopelessly lost without His Mother holding my hand and redirecting me back to Him." Stephen Sparrow

It made me sad to think of folks who also own such things, and only put them on if they happen to go with what they are wearing, if they want to impress the 'rents, if it's Sunday, or if they just want to look/feel "religious" that day (or take them off so others won't know). Than I was saddened even more when I realized that it is probably the same way they "use" their faith.

I wondered how often that was true of me.

I do admit, that there have been days I did not feel "worthy" to wear them, but the grace of God usually reminds me that I am NEVER worthy, which makes His love for me that much more special, and more permanent and true. Praise God!
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put, D'art! You're inspiring me to wear my cross.

Mom died a year ago with her rosary in her gnarled hand -- they had to pry it out. We buried her with it back in her hand. As a mom, she said, she had a special devotion to Mary, inspired by JPII.

D'artagnan said...

I have to get another Miraculous Medal, as I had dad buried with mine.