Sunday, December 23, 2007

Dusting off Mary


This is that rare and wonderful time of year when my Protestant brethren have to put aside their unconscious Cathli-phobia, and acknowledge the woman who's "Yes" was instrumental in our salvation, and who continues to pray for us daily, that we might reflect that affirmative in all we do, as she points us always to her Son.

"Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees . . . If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother"
Martin Luther

I must admit that as an ex-Evangelical, I still find mind self forgetting our Lady, yet still remember the image of our Blessed Mother praying over my earthly mom's hospital bed that night years ago when I prayed my first Rosary. No, it was not a vision, but just a nice comforting thought, that our Lord's mother would care so much for her adopted daughter to pray over her, and be with her when I could not.

As I have written before, one of the greatest gifts I have ever recieved was that on that day our Creator took my mom out of that prison of Alzheimer's, to be at Peace with Him, He did not leave me alone, for He gave me His own mother in return, and I know she prays for me daily.

I am so blessed to know that I have a loving Father in heaven, a brother servant in Christ, and a prayerful mother in Mary. My prayer for this Christmas is that more might unwrap this dust covered package, given to them on the first Christmas.

Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.


No comments: