Thursday, May 7, 2009

Reign or shine

.
As I walked home after receiving our Lord in the Eucharist, I was again reminded of how wonderful a blessing it is to be able to attend daily mass. Early thoughts had me worrying I might be caught in the rain, or possibly have to drive (I like the 2O minute walk in the AM).

Yes, I was about to receive the God of all creation into my body, the very one who had willingly offered up His body for me to beat, spit on, and eventually kill - and I was worrying I might get caught in a drizzle - Lord forgive me!

If I really, truly understood - if WE really, understood - Who it is that I/we are receiving, shouldn't we be willing to crawl on broken glass to get to Him?, and any and every chance we can? Not that our wonderful Father would want us to be hurt in any way, but like with Abraham with his son, me thinks He does want us to have that meek and willing heart.

As a spiritual director recently asked me, am I focusing on the "Urgent" or the "Important"? What is more important than time with the one we will spend all eternity with?

But I have a meeting

But I have a conference call

But I have to study

But I have a hangover

As Father Larry Richards often says
"the mass cost Jesus his life, and it must cost us ours"

This morning it just cost me some hair gel.

No comments: