Thursday, December 25, 2008

Foolish Heart

.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God"

Psalm 14:1

I only realized the universal truth of this line earlier this week, in that David is not necessarily speaking of his (our) God, but that only a person missing adequate intellectual properties could possibly be an atheist.

Yes, yes, I once called myself by that name, but I truly was a lazy brain-dead fool at the time. I did not actively pursue arguments for or against the existence of God, but decided upon my religious choice (atheism is to me a religion), because I was both angry at God, and found it easier to base my life on the doctrine of whim rather than Christian dogma.

More and more I realize that with all the extremely well written and presented arguments for the God's existence (twas logic that lead me to the cross and eventually to Rome), the only hope an atheist has for remaining an atheist, is to actually stop thinking, to not allow any rational thoughts to attach themselves to there comfortable ignorance.

Of course I sadly also find this type of comfortable ignorance in my Protestant brothers and sisters, because one only needs study whether or not the Catholic church is indeed the true church Christ founded to find out that it is true. Granted, I have met many Catholics who couldn't defend their faith if their life depended on it (um, and it kinda does), so ignorance seems to be a universal tool of the great Tool (ie, the little red liar).

Dr. Peter Kreeft's website offers a series of essays presenting the various historical Arguments for God's Existence, and I challenge any supposed atheist to read or listen to them and than honestly still choose to believe in nothing.


2 comments:

Joyful Catholic said...

Great post! I've been thinking the same thing about some Protestants/evangelicals I know who simply refuse to "admit history." I wrote that history proves the CC is the Church Jesus founded, and one wrote back, "I disagree." ...So then I guess "Truth" is relative for her? She would also deny that, but yet that is exactly what she saying, but doesn't even see it. I am so grateful for the grace that opened my eyes, because as a "born again" evangelical for so many years, I never thought I'd become a real "practicing Catholic" and fall in love with the Church. I've fallen in love with Jesus even more by finding His Church, that somehow I'd lost for years in my stubborn ignorance.

D'artagnan said...

If we are to be lil" Christs, than how can we not love His church, His bride?

Oh, and the sacraments, how they too help bring us closer.

Being Catholic rawks!, and if only most cradle Catholics knew that, I can only imagine a world of Saints!