Sunday, January 21, 2007

"The Days Off are Evil"

Be very careful, then, how you live
not as unwise but as wise,

making the most of every opportunity,
because the days are evil.


While I absolutely love Mass, especially at my parish, I must confess that Sundays tend to bring a fair amount of anxiety. After church, even on the days I have helped in RCIA, my resemblance to Hugh Grant's character in "About a Boy" is closer than just my hair cut (and yes, my hair guy, Israel, keeps a pic of Hugh on file just for me ....can we all say "Mike's a dork"?).


In the movie Will (Hugh Grant) explains how one, if they are "dependently" wealthy, properly goes about wasting a day:

"I find the key is to think of a day as units of time, each unit consisting of no more than thirty minutes. Full hours can be a little bit intimidating and most activities take about half an hour. Taking a bath: one unit, watching countdown: one unit, web-based research: two units, exercising: three units, having my hair carefully disheveled: four units. It's amazing how the day fills up, and I often wonder, to be absolutely honest, if I'd ever have time for a job; how do people cram them in?

In great shame, I must admit that in many ways this is similar to my basic Sunday recipe, with my greatest amount of energy used trying to fill up those 8-9 hours between "the Mass has ended, go in Peace" and my own voice mumbling my scriptural Rosary just before my head hits the pillow. Where the average day, including Saturday, is usually filled to da brim with work or church or exercise or Smallville (all chant "dork" again?), I struggle to get through each and every Sunday. Worse is the fact that not having an actual schedule on Sunday, lends to putting off the days reading or even prayer (save for bedtime), and not guarding my time often allows my mind wander to sad (why me) , bitter (why her), or even impure (well, she does have a really cute . . .) thoughts.

Usually I have a vague game plan, and this week I decided to take the time to count my blessings, as well as babble about 'em on my blog.

1) the first and greatest is off course my Life, . . .even though my pre-Christian self pondered and prayed for a myriad of death scenarios (thoughts a Spirit filled me still has to fight off on occasion...but fight we do!)

2)that the God of the universe would not just create, but want to know me. that He would desire my presence in His holy house today, and everyday.

3)that I would be given the knowledge above, that so many of those around me are ignorant of.

4)that although Jesus took my mother to be with Him this year, in His generous nature gives me His own mother, our Blessed Lady.

5)that I finally get to hear my beloved sister speak of the same love for our Savior.

6)that her daughter will always sing "Here I come to Worship" for me

7)that God answered my prayers and placed a new precious life in an old precious friend (and that my friend will forgive me for saying "old")

8)that I work for a company that respects and encourages me and my faith.

9)that I get to work with men that I trust, admire, and respect (I'll call 'em the 3 J's).

10)that although I may sometimes feel lonely, I am never really alone.

11) that no one really reads this, so I can be as honest and personal as I want (O:

there are millions more blessings I can think of, some big, some small, ...all flowing from the heart and hands of a loving God.

I praise His name, but can't thank Him enough,
Amen

(now go watch football, I got's some praying to do)

mike

No comments: