Sunday, September 2, 2007

To Be Fed, or To Be Fed On?

.
Anyone familar with the Psalms is aware how one verse can speak of joy and trust, and than literally the next few lines be full of doubt and despair (which is in all honesty, the very fact of life) . Today while praying over a bit of anxiety I am currently battling, I read the wonderful lines in 1 Peter 5:7
"casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you"

Beautiful words of comfort, strength, and trust. Then I continue with the next lines which read

" Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

and suddenly, I am anxious again.

The whole of 1 Peter 5 is what needs to be read, as it defines the true things we might have reason to be anxious about, and takes away the worry by promising both that we will in fact suffer, and that Christ will "restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."

The last line
"Greet one another with a loving kiss", also gives me insight on another thing that makes me a wee bit anxious, that of being kissed on the cheek by other men while in Italy.

Not being anxious ain't an easy thing for this monkster, but reading again the lines that confused me, I realized that it is that very sin of worry which the enemy wishes to get drunk on. Instead, if I do, in fact, lay down my worries at the foot of the Cross, than the evil one has to deal with Christ instead . . .and I think we all know how that'll go.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear."
.

No comments: