Friday, February 27, 2009

The Bad Shepherd?

.
A tad early for mass this morning (early is not usually a D'art trait), I surveyed the art and architecture of the particular
church I was knelt in (our lil' shabby chic parish is made up of a trinity of antique churches).I found myself gazing upon the stained glass image of Christ the Good Shepherd, holding the rescued baby lamb.

With my daily mixture of the Holy Spirit and Starbucks (sadly, if you know me, it's usually more of the latter), I started to percolate (yes, a coffee pun) an idea on what exactly a Good shepherd would, and would not, be. I also thought how this title for our Lord completely reinforces the idea of one holy catholic and apostolic church.

Would a good shepherd leave a divisive mixture of ninety nine sheep, all trying to go there own way, in search of another "individualistic" lamb?, or would he only do so if he knew that they were indeed "one" flock, encircling, and protecting each other?

Even if they were one flock, me thinks he would still need to leave a few priestly sheepdogs, or even Babe the good pig, to keep watch over them in his absence, entrusting only them with the "keys" to the gate.

How many times would this good shepherd allow a an unruly bit of wool to knock down his fences before he allowed that particular mutton chop to go out on it's own lest it endanger the others with it's "my way" heresy of pride (me thinks all heresy starts with "well, I think . . .").

If we truly wish to be evangelical in our lives, we first have to unite under one flock, so that the Good Shepherd can with all confidence, leave us 99 to search for our lost brothers and sisters.

"I" must die daily to serve the "I am", and the "we" He died for, and who He still goes after. There are few greater ways to say you belong to God, than to humbly lay down your pride, to also say you belong to the one church He gave up His life for.

"A shepherd only tends to one flock"
.

No comments: