Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rousing a Deaf World

One of my recent favorite Christian CDs isn't - or I should say isn't typically listed as - CCM, ex-Torie Steve Bertrand's first (of hopefully many) solo album "Pain is a Megaphone".

"I'm tired of my skin, I'm trying to let You in
The pain is a megaphone, the pain is a megaphone
I'm falling down again, I am fighting with my twin
The pain is a megaphone, the pain is a megaphone"
Megaphone

While the title comes from a C.S. Lewis quote, the lyrics to the above song could as easily be heard as a 3 1/2 minute powerpop version of Saint Augustine's Confessions.

"Take away my heart, I don't want it anymore
Teach me where to start, because I want to be restored"

Granted, this beautifully constructed disc mixes songs of seeking God with songs of lost love, which actually reinforces the title even more. How often a broken heart, when in total contrition begs for mending, and with God's grace is actually made "more" loving than before the hurt.

"Everytime I fall in love, it falls back on me
Evertime I rise above, I'm pulled under the sea"

All of Bertrand's previous projects, from either the Tories or Avion, had a similar mixture of songs of romantic love with tunes written by someone who knows that there is a greater Love still. Avion's "Loved" speaks from a man knowing that he needs to accept the great Love, before anything else, and the Tories " Flying Solo" does much the same.

The solo album does go on to dig a tad deeper than the more power-popish tunes from his efforts in a band setting, and boy o boy does I sure hope he keeps digging, as me thinks Steve has touched on quite a rich lyrical gold vein (O:

The video below is from his time with Avion, and thought it summed up both lyrical concepts, as I am also one of those romantic fools who thinks things are much more "Beautiful" when there is a hand to hold . . .and thankfully, there is always a Hand to hold (O:
.



1 comment:

D'artagnan said...

from Steve Betrand
"Hi Michael! Thanks so much for the review of my music. I am so honored and was really touched by your eloquence. Amazing how you captured the essence of what I've been doing or trying to do for these many years. Thank you again...I really appreciate it.
Be well, Steve "