Monday, February 23, 2009

Church of Self

.
Me thinks the old adage "a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client", could also be "a person who has themselves for a church, has a fool for a pope"
.

Don't worry, I am not gonna talk about the temple of Tom Cruise, but about that empty "altar-ego" too many of us make to worship our god . . . the great "I". Of course I am going to rant about the "me and Jesus" fallacy that so many have fallen for in regards to worship.

"I don't need a church, I can worship Jesus myself"

"Jesus comes to me, I don't need a building"

"The Bible teaches me all I need"

The funny thing is that I have never met anyone who spoke these words who actually spent time with Jesus (no, listening to CCM radio or watching TBN, doesn't count), or that even read the Bible that often. In all of this, there really isn't the desire to find out what exactly Jesus would want, but the twisted mentality that as long as I call myself a Christian it's all good.

How long does the average long distance relationship last? Would you believe someone who says they loved you, even had t-shirts made with your name on it, even wore a symbol of you around their neck, but didn't ever want to visit you?

All of what I am saying , is not to be judgmental or condemning, but comes from my own time in the wilderness of self before I found the Church. Oh how wonderful it is to be in His house filled with the voices of His children. Oh how thankful I am to be able to start each day greeting my brothers and sisters with the sign of "peace" . . . followed by the true Peace entering my body as I receive the Eucharist.

Anyhow, love takes effort, and one only has to look at a crucifix to see the effort Christ made to show you His love, and give us the church.

Hope to see ya at mass (O:

No comments: