Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Believe is a verb

.
" In the late 1890's, a famous tightrope walker strung a wire across Niagara Falls. As 10,000 people watched, he inched his way along the wire from one side of the falls to the other.

When he got to the other side, the crowd cheered wildly. Finally, the tightrope walker was able to quiet the crowd and shouted to them, 'Do you believe in me?'. The crowd shouted back, 'We believe! We believe!'.

Again he quieted the crowd and shouted to them, 'I'm going back across the tightrope but this time I'm going to carry someone on my back. Do you believe I can do that?'. The crowd yelled back, 'We believe! We believe!'. He quieted the crowd one more time and then asked them, 'Who will be that person?'.

The crowd suddenly became silent. Not a single person was willing to apply the very truth that they professed to believe in--that the tightrope walker could cross the falls with a person on his back"

I had heard this story before as an Evangelical, as a demonstration on "false" vs "genuine" faith. Do a quick search and you can even find it on dozens of Protestant sites and blogs. Odd thing is that what it more clearly demonstrates is that Believe is a verb, and that Faith, in part, is a work.


"Not everyone who says Lord, Lord, will enter the Kingdom of Heaven,
but rather he who does the will of my Father
"

(Matthew 7:21)
.


No comments: