Monday, April 2, 2007

Let His blood be on Us

.
Just saw that Mel has re-released yet another version of "The Passion of the Christ" on DVD, and I am hopeful that one of the scenes that have been restored, is where the mob responds to Pilate " "Let his blood be on us and on our children!".

In the theatrical version of this scene the subtitles are removed, as well as the audio mixed so as to amplify the crowd noise. This came about because of an antisemitism, past and present, where people have used that passage as an excuse for their own personal hatred. The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) had been one of the loudest of critics to these words being included in the film, and although they had a much longer list of concerns, did originally win on this point.

Sadly, it wasn't the ADL that won, but ignorance, as for me this line, while seeming on one hand to be a curse, would prove in fact to be a blessing, when seen in the proper Light. I personally need Christ's blood to cover the cancerous sin scarred body of my soul, to "wash me white as snow", to make me remember that I am the adopted son of the Most High. I also want that blood to cover not only me, but my family and friends (and God willing, my children), so that God may see us through Christ's eyes of love, instead of a just God's eye of judgement.
Covered by the blood of Christ, may the angel of death pass us by.

While there are other reasons for Passover and Holy Week to coincide, I can't help but feel that one of the main reasons is God's ever continuing call for His people to be one, for all to be under the same palm strewn banner of the one true King, for all to eat completely this meal He has prepared for us, and for all of us to one day walk hand and hand into the wedding feast.

Knowing our Jewish brothers concerns, and having a "reason for our hope" in response, is how we help them walk across that bridge to God that Christ has made for us, the one he made out of two "blood stained" boards that once held His body.

If asked, "who is responsible for Jesus' death?", the answer can only be "I am"
If asked."who killed Jesus" the answer can only be the Great "I Am", for our Lord said

"No one has taken it away from Me,
but I lay it down on My own initiative.
I have authority to lay it down,
and I have authority to take it up again.

This commandment I received from My Father."

John 10:18

"It was not nails that kept Him on the cross, but Love!", and a love that is opened to everyone, and a love we are called to share continually. Please pray for me, that I might share that love today.

No comments: