Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The DC Dawn

Met my cyber-Yoda last night, as the charming Miss Dawn Eden invited some of us bloggers to a little get together at a DC coffeehouse (to all of you who know me well, YES I brought Berger Cookies, Yes I brought music, and Yes, I babbled too much . . .note to self, duct tape mouth!). While it was an extreme pleasure to meet my world wide muse, I must also say that I could have easily talked with any one of the invitees for hours, as it truly was a lovely group of people . . .and in Dupont Circle? who woulda thunk it? even the lurkers (who we kept veiled at another table) were a pleasant bunch.

It was only a little over six months ago that I first heard of Miss Eden, and/or ever really had read a blog (let alone think to write one). I was looking for something to do one weekend, and saw that a Theology of the Body group was hosting a talk on chastity, by some ex-Rock historian. O.K., I'll admit, that the last part peaked my interest, but I do own TotB (and will finish it one day), and have read and listened to most of the Christopher West stuff. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the talk, but I did end up reading her wonderful book, "The Thrill of the Chaste"(and since have given out about a dozen copies, and also now have a signed copy myself), even wrote a post about it, which she mentioned at her blog (I had hit the big time with my own fifteen seconds of fame).

Getting a new car, meeting a personal hero, as well as an incredible group of sincere Christians (and in the middle of enemy territory), had me way too excited to sleep last night, and I was up until almost 11pm (O: (yes, I'm old), so I am a wee bit tired this morning, and beg your pardon for my quick posting.

Off to be with my new silver metallic love, God's blessing to all,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great meeting you!

John J. Simmins

D'artagnan said...

and you as well brother.
I am still in awe over the fact that I was with a group of really nice and unpretentious people (except for me), talking about chastity and God stuff, in the middle of DC.

God is good (but you knew that)

Anonymous said...

It was really nice to meet you, too! Also, I didn't want to shout over the group any more, but I was going to tell you on dating, do NOT give up or get disheartened about wanting to date chastely. There's always a set of people who will be skeptical or mock that decision -- my husband definitely took a lot of ribbing and disbelief from his friends, especially as we led up to the wedding (though my friends were more supportive since we've mostly all been conservative Catholic types since through college), and my brothers have had to break up with women who pushed them too hard. But if people don't want to respect that decision, you don't want to be with them anyway, right? Saves time to find that out sooner. It's still disheartening a lot of times (my siblings are definitely experiencing that and I certainly did before I met my husband), but it's worth holding out. Not that you need convincing, you have so much enthusiasm and conviction, but I wanted to say so anyway :) Ciao!

D'artagnan said...

Oddly, it was the first Christian I dated who pushed the issue. I dated a very nice "spiritual" person, who admited to wanting to "jump my bones", but respected me and my views, with our brief relationship remaing completely chaste.

I am to be the best man for a friend in October, and the wonderful couple are both virgins. To help in that, I randomly ask him "still a virgin?", he has told me his pastor, who likes that so much that now he asks him too (O:

thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers

Peace

Kristine said...

Hey Mike et al,

Great to meet you in real space Tuesday! I was hunkered down at my end of the table and didn't get to talk to everyone as much as I would have liked, but I agree with Mike -- I could have sat and talked for hours more (with a little caffeine, that is!).

Blessings to you all!

D'artagnan said...

Next time I am invited (if I'm invited), I promise to let the other folks talk (O: