Monday, May 21, 2007

New Clothes

..
"Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you."
Galatians 4:8-11


So often, even after we have been clothed anew in Christ, we can find ourselves trying to put on our "old clothes". It would be easier if God made that they no longer fit, but sadly they seem to go on rather easy. He does give us the gift of the Holy Spirit, Who's presence seems to make the old clothes itchy and rather uncomfortable, so that we soon want them away from our bodies.

We are are often a little like the surprised participants on "What Not to Wear", who even after being told by friends and family how bad we look, and after being given a $5,000 Credit Card, still try to put on the black parachute pants with the Hawaiian shirt and matching tie (and don't even mention the mullet). The one thing I noticed about most of the people on that show is that they tend to go with what worked once for them, regardless if it was during the hayday of Miami Vice.

God truly is the perfect makeover artist, as He not only sees the real us, but knows that person better than even we do. Like the "Lilies of the Field", I trust Him to clothe me , and have seen first hand the reactions of friends and family, as they say how much better the "new look" suits me.

I know that my "makeover" will not be completed on the Earth, and at times even painful, but I am hopeful that one day I will make the cover of Heaven's GQ (o:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a wonderful entry! it made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me glad that i only have five outfits i can wear during my pregnancy. #:)

D'artagnan said...

I wish I still had my "I'm not fat, I'm Pregnant" shirt to lend you, although it's a bit funnier on a bloke (O: