Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ephesians 6:12

.
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,
but against the rulers, against the authorities,
against the powers of this dark world

and against the spiritual forces of evil
in the heavenly realms"


I would say the two greatest gifts I see in my more saintly friends (granted, it takes a saint to put up with me), is that first, they fully realize the love of God (for themselves, and others); and secondly, they understand, and live, the above verse.

Knowing that we are all "precious in His sight" is an important factor when dealing with folks (or even yourself), as it allows us to see at least a glimpse of the dignity that each of us have, and deserve. Realizing we, ourselves, are passionately loved by the Creator of all things, inspires us (or should inspire us) to look for that dignity even in that guy that just cut me off in traffic, or kid in the checkout line wearing an anti-Christian slogan on her trendy designer shirt.

But, if we forget that this war we are in the middle of, is not against human kind, not against flesh, I think we may, regardless of how we act outwardly, still have seeds of hate inside us. These seeds, of course, are what the above mentioned "powers of this dark world" are very content to nurture, to slowly grow inside us until it strangles the Truth we cling to.

Um, Monk, um yer kinda dark this morning?

Sorry imaginary reader, but I am fearful that too many folks go around saying "God is Love", without remembering who is hate. I just think a certain form of compassion takes over, when we realize that the same buzzing insect that whispers lies in our ears, is of the very same evil trying to corrupt our enemies. This also helps us have a more fuller understanding of why we are commanded to "love our enemies".

I started pondering on this as my friends have already started picking political sides for the next election, which reminded me of how viciously I used to attack, and verbally destroy, those of the opposite political spectrum. Now, while I still have the same views, I find that politics is just pretentious child's play when compared with the need to share the oh so Good News, to a world ignorantly chasing after it's own death.

Anyhow, it's gonna be a lovely day, so go share His love with someone . . . even if they be a liberal, or a wacky conservative wannabe monk.

To paraphrase a great vegetable prophet
"God made them special, and He loves them very much!"

Saint Michael, the Archangel, Protect Us!

.

2 comments:

David Nybakke said...

To paraphrase a great vegetable prophet
"God made them special, and He loves them very much!"

Dear Monkster,

Your source? Doing a Google search for vegetable prophet I found found onle this site for a vegetable prophet.

D'artagnan said...

um, think more Bob and Larry, or possibly Junior Asparagus, and you'll get the Big Idea (O: