Monday, March 19, 2007

Always a bridesmaid . . .


Yes, I am happy to inform everyone, that I get to play the part of "best man" at my Dad's upcoming nuptials, and then again in October for my good buddy Josh.

I am mainly excited 'cause I get to wear a Tux and play James Bond for a day . . .and this time I can actually leave my apartment (O:

Weddings have not been exactly a good topic of conversation for me, as the morning of the last wedding I attended had me in a jewelry store returning an engagement ring, only later to be sitting alone at a reception with two recently engaged couples . . .and this particular wedding also offered no booze !?!.

[for any of you folks working in a jewelry store, please never ask a guy "Reason for return" when they bring back an engagement ring]


"Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end."
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (The Message)

I had been instructed to be happy for others, despite my own sorrow . . . and by God's grace, that's what I did, and continue to try to do. The wedding I mentioned above, while painful was also very joy filled, as I watched one of my best friends, tears of joy in his eye (o.k., mine too), pick up his new bride, and carry her down the aisle to start their new life together. I also watched my friend Josh as he lovingly looked at his girlfriend that day, knowing that she was completely unaware that he too had bought a ring, and would be giving it to her in a few weeks.

Joy sometimes lives with sorrow, but ya do have to make a choice, with God's grace and word, to hope in the joy, knowing that the sorrow will one day end, and that it even has a purpose.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."
James 1

No comments: