Sunday, March 18, 2007

No more Wine for me


Yesterday, being St. Pat's day, I was joking with my boss about beer, and a recent Theology on Tap event, and that one of the reasons I converted to Catholicism was that they (we) are much better drinkers.

"Yep, I converted for the beer" says I
"I thought it was for the communion wine" says boss man
"Actually, that is why I converted, the Eucharist"
in turn replies your monkster.

True, that one of the main reasons I started on the "Road to Rome" was my belief in the biblical truth of Christ's presence in the Eucharist. But yesterday reminded me that my reply should have been "No, Protestants have communion wine, Catholics have Jesus", as I have never received wine during the Eucharist, but instead the actual blood of my risen Lord
.

John 6:55 "For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink".

So when I hear my Protestant brothers argue over what's better - grape juice or Manischewitz, whole wheat or matzo; I in fact know that as a Catholic, I humbly receive my savior Jesus at every Mass, and only by this mystery do I truly have Communion with the Body of Christ.

All praise and honor to Jesus my King!