Wednesday, June 13, 2007

An Arsenal of Truth and Love

Everyone by now, is quite aware of all the trendy anti-God (more anti-believers in God) books that are causing a sensation, most importantly they are showing how ill equipped many Christians (your Monkster included) are at defending their faith, which is literally part of our job description.

"but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts. Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your Hope"
1 Peter 3:15

The Monk's mentors over at 3M, have also raised the call, and pointed to some brilliant links that any, nay all, Christians should give a gander to. I also very strongly suggest listening to Peter Kreeft's audio lecture on "Arguments for God's Existence", as well as finally breaking open that copy of "Mere Christianity" that's been gathering dust on yer self since Aunt Nell gave it to you for yer 15th birthday.

My wonderful 14 year old niece and I spent the day together on Sunday, and she mentioned one of her friends who is a Goth, and with that, also anti-God (I don't like the word atheist, 'cause being an ex-atheist, I've come to see that they don't exist . . .much in the way I did not fully, before I embraced my Savior's love). I asked my niece how she explained God, and she was quite good at explaining salvation and being a Christian, but I asked her "Why should I believe in some God, with all these silly rules?" Sadly, she didn't have a complete answer, but than we went to Starbucks, got caffeinated, and talked for a few hours.

To be honest, even my answers were a little spotty, but more from lack of practice, than lack of knowledge. It has been quite a while since I have had to explain "my reason for Hope", as I fear I have been using the mantra "preach the Gospel, use words if necessary" as an excuse for my not building up a better arsenal of apologetics (also, of late, I have been discussing Catholicism to Protestants, more than trying to help or instruct those without a true knowledge of God).

So, my brothers and sisters, I challenge each of you to, literally, play devil's advocate, and debate with one another about about God's existence, as well as why it is our God, as apposed to all the other religions. Find out the weak spots in your armor now, before the real battle comes (and it will come). Please also remember that we are not at war with the puppets, we are at war with the puppeteer!

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places"

Just as we are to give argument to the Christopher Hitchens and Philip Pullmans of the world, we are also commanded to pray for them . . .a part of our arsenal of love, that they have no counter for.

Personally, when ever one of theses influential idiots annoys me with their latest comment, I pray for them, and imagine the positive influence they might have if they only turned to face the Light. Also, picturing them as cute little fuzzy squirrels in boxing attire, might help ya from getting over heated in a discussion (O:

"Ignorance is no excuse
when we have neglected to learn
what we are obliged to know."
St. Ambrose
.

No comments: