Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Sucker Punches for the Soul


Father Larry Richards is one of my personal heroes, and to say he has helped this baby Catholic begin to walk steady, would be an understatement. He, by the grace of God, speaks with both an absolute directness and in complete love, with liberal amounts of humor as well.

Early on, even before I decided to start my inevitable walk towards Rome, a friend gave me one of Father Larry's audio CDs, entitled "the Truth" (you can hear it online, or get a free CD here). In this talk he addresses the basics of why we are here, who God is (Father,Son, and Holy Spirit), how much this God is in love with us, and how we should respond to that love (yeah, ya do hafta respond to it, ya know).

In the talk he mentions that one way we show love is by telling those we love, that we love them, which is easier said then done sometimes. I remember calling my dad after hearing the first time, and when my dad answers I just said "Hey dad, I just wanted to remind you that I love you, and I'm glad your my dad" which brought about a silent pause with my pop trying to figure out if I wanted money or something. "I love you too son" he replied, and that world "son" brought me to tears, because more than the "L" word, it represented that I belonged to him, and that he was proud of that.

Those of us who respond to God's love, are also His sons and daughters, and Fr. Larry makes a big point that we are to constantly remind each other of that important truth. That we truly "belong" to Him!


When I gave up music for my first Lent, I listened to a bunch of the Father's talks (free from the Mary Foundation, and they have other cool free talks as well). His talk on Confession greatly helped me prepare for my first/life confession, and his very graphic image of what sin is/does, is one I still visualize when tempted today.

On Monday or Tuesday morning, I can't wait to download his homily from the previous Sunday, as well as writing friends to comment on what he had to say this week. He pulls no punches in his talks, and that along with his PA farm boy accent (which sounds a bit like a cross between Baltimore and Chicago . . ."da Church, huh?"), is what I find so appealing. He sounds like your best friend, although one who sees your hand in the cookie jar, and reminds you that stealing is a sin. He doesn't care if you "like" him (as some priests do) and would much rather you get angry at him, but end up in heaven; than like him and live in hell.

If I do choose a religious vocation (or discern that God has designed me for that), I truly hope to serve with Father Larry one day. . . .or at least go to one of his retreats.

Catholic or not (yet), me thinks you will gain a lot from listening to any of the Fathers talks.

Oh, yeah, go and call yer dad up today, 'cause ya ain't gotta wait for Hallmark to tell you what day to say "I Love You"!

.

4 comments:

sadako said...

I can relate bro more than you know. my "Father story" is like the book tuesdays with morrie. This father son thing brings tears to my eyes in the past when everything seems confusing but with the Grace of God, I walked passed through it all. I also have my personal hero and in my opinion he's not the greatest homilists, but he's the greatest "surrogate" dad one could ever have.

D'artagnan said...

I am glad we all share the same perfect Father

Anonymous said...

I too share your appreciation of Fr. Larry's talks.

If you are interested, you can read a post I wrote a few years ago, about one of his talks.

http://catholicconvert.wordpress.com/2004/09/22/my-initial-observations-of-father-larry-richards-talk-on-the-truth-i-was-a-non-catholic-at-the-time/

God Bless!

D'artagnan said...

Funny thing is, I have already read it.