Saturday, June 2, 2007

Can you burn me a disc?

Music: Secular versus Christian

I have been wanting to write this for a while, but my opinions are so strong on this topic, that I wanted to try and be as complete as possible. One of my original thoughts when creating my blog, was to inspire religious folk to seek out good Christian music, by mentioning various artists, or linking to youtube videos (most of the bands in my video section are indeed Christian).

First things first: To help you understand my definition of "Christian Music", I will say that sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes it's just knowing the background of the artists, and no, music per say, can't be "Christian" (as in notes and melodies,etc.).

1) Radio S--ks! - I often get the reaction that Christian music is lame, from folks who have listened to it on the radio, and my response is All radio is basically just the lowest common denominator, Christian or secular, so don't base your opinions on the wimpy stuff you here on most CCM stations. Before becoming a Christian I was aware that secular radio sucked, so I wasn't surprised that Christian radio followed suit. Sadly most CCM stations go by the JPM rule (Jesus per minute), where a lot of my favorite bands, in an attempt at outreach, keep their lyrics Christ centered, without the need to say "Jesus" every other line, or at all.

Oddly, it was local secular rock station (and former home of Howard Stern) DC101, who hosted an event where 4 of the 5 bands were Christian (Switchfoot, Thousand Foot Krutch, Chevelle, and Jimmy Eat World), although most folks are unaware that these bands are among the blessed.

2) Amy Grant and Stryper - Another typical response from friends when I mention my addiction to Christian Rock, is to say "I like that Amy Grant", or "oh, like that band Stryper". I will confess that part of my initial resistance to becoming a Christian, was the thought that I'd have to listen to Amy Grant the rest of my life (a great artist and singer, but ain't really my personal taste, plus the whole divorce thing made me a bit sick), which is funny when I look at my 1500+ CD collection now, and there ain't one of Miss Grant's albums in the bunch (O.K., I do own the original Stryper "To Hell with the Devil" gatefold LP, but it was bought before I came to know our Lord).

I have since found that Christian artists are performing just about every type of music that is out there, from ska to punk to hip-hop to lo-fi acoustic 4 track whatever (no Klezmer as of this writing). As far as the EMO scene, I have even noticed that almost half the bands under that particular label are in fact Christian (ya just have to listen under the SCREAMS)

3) It's Only Music! - As music has been my best friend since childhood, naturally that statement makes me a bit queasy, especially as God used music as His way of knocking on my heart (had to be more rhythmic for me to notice). The first time I remember kneeling to Him, and begging Him to show Himself (not understanding that He had/was already doing so) was when I heard the Jars of Clay song "He", about child abuse (yes my old pop, who I now love dearly, once used me as a stress relieving punching bag).

" A teardrop falls from up in the heavens
Drowning the sorrow of angels on high
For the least of the helpless, the hopeless, the loveless
My Jesus, His children, He holds in His arms
He Love you!"

Me, He loves me!?! a realization that still brings me daily joy, even though I will never fully understand it's truth (at least not on this earth). When I finally, and completely, offered my life to my beautiful Savior, one of the things I desired naturally, was to share this Truth with others. As an ex DJ, it only made sense for me to use music, by making mixes, as a form of witnessing (a person can argue with another person, but looks a might foolish yelling at a CD). I can't tell you how many people have written me to say thank you for mixes that helped or inspired them.

"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial.
"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive.
1 Corinthians 10:23

Yeah, the secular stuff may not lead you into sin, but is it leading you to Him? And if we truly lived out the "not even a hint" in Ephesians 5, me thinks most of us would agree that would rule out almost all secular radio.

Part of the secular music problem lies in the "why are you listening to it?", and I fear it is that an attempt to hold onto things of this world, to fit in in some way . . .but we are the blessed outcasts, why would anyone want to come with us, if we are busy trying to go with them? "we sheep in wolves clothing" is the phrase that sums this up.

4) Can ya help a brother out? - Christian bands are indeed your brothers and sisters, so this too is another reason to put more focus on buying their stuff. If you support them, you help them to support their families (and unlike their secular counterparts, you can often see wedding bands scratching up the necks of the guitars of Christian rockers). On the flip side, if you give money to the secular bands, you help them to possibly sponsor their local Planned Parenthood or even their neighborhood strip club or drug dealer (Rock for Life has a rather complete list of pro-life and pro-abortion bands . . .plus some groovy shirts).

Also, the big record labels are money driven, so if they see a Christian artist selling albums, they'll sign them, which means they might get airplay, which means the Gospel might get heard on secular radio, which might give you an opportunity to share your faith with a friend or co-worker.

5) Mike, please help me! - My pleasure, as I will happily make mixes for anyone, to introduce you to all the great Christian music that is out there. I promise that you will enjoy what you hear, and be filled with joy by what is being sung. Just tell me what secular stuff you like, and I will design a mix CD just for you, with the intro and forever price of FREE (o:, because we are free indeed!.

"the language of Heaven will be music"



No comments: