Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Stifle it !?!

"Stifle, Paul said that you stifle him,
again and again and again"

Cadence - Anberlin
Anberlin, one of my absolutely favorite new Christian bands, has this above lyric in a tune from their first album. I have yet to figure it out, but of course I am looking at it as if the "Paul" they are referring to, is in fact St. Paul. If anyone can shed some light on this, or wants to just ponder, pleeeeease do so.

Write down,to remind yourself on how it can be
Heartstrings, you're tugging at my heartstrings
Helpless, I have become so helpless to your touch
touch me somehow
Restless, you leave me restless
breathless wait for me

The closer I come to you
the closer I am to finding God
You're a miracle to me
The closer I come to you
the closer I am to finding God
You're a miracle to me

Burning, like Joan of Arc to see you, just to feel you
Cadence,well I dance with the dead cause I believe
yes I believe, yes I believe
Stifle, Paul said that you stifle him
again and again and again

The closer I come to you
the closer I am to finding God
You're a miracle to me
The closer I come to you
the closer I am to finding God
You're a miracle to me

And if these are my parting words
Then this, my last request
Hold me here, until I sleep
If I burn, then I burn for you

.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an odd lyric. First of all, is "Cadence" a lady friend being courted in the song? Secondly, it seems Paul may be someone else, a mutual friend.

It is odd. Not my cup of tea though. A bit too pretty (well, based on a couple of songs I saw on youtube).

Warren said...

Sounds like a little of the mystical Agape love of God, mixed with a little bit of teenage christian Eros. A potent mix.

The "Stifle" line doesn't strike me as any kind of biblical reference, and this just might be an obscure lyric.

It *is* oddly lyrical though. I'd have to hear the music to know if I'd like the song. :-)

W

D'artagnan said...

I admit, I have no idea what he is singin' about, but will do my best to harass him at Purple Door Festival in August (JV if you live 'round here, you should check it out).

I like the band precisely because they infuse "pretty" elements into some seriously sonic attacks, and I really all about the power chords (O:

Anonymous said...

Well, when I said "pretty" I think I was focusing on their image.

I'm not close enough for the Festival, I'm in Chicago, but moving to Louisville in August.

D'artagnan said...

Oh, well yeah, I wished I looked like them, but . . .

I guess you've been to Cornerstone then?